About Me

My photo
Web person at the Imperial War Museum, just completed PhD about digital sustainability in museums (the original motivation for this blog was as my research diary). Posting occasionally, and usually museum tech stuff but prone to stray. I welcome comments if you want to take anything further. These are my opinions and should not be attributed to my employer or anyone else (unless they thought of them too). Twitter: @jottevanger

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Online/offline

A trend to keep an eye on, as web-based applications push ever more into the area once occupied solely by desktop applications, is the ability to work both on- and offline. As this starts to mature we will see ever fewer reasons for traditional desktop apps and ever more for web-based software, which is going to affect what we as museums are offering (and using). Presumably worth keeping an eye on for this project. Here are some examples of the sort of app that's making the shift I'm talking about:
  • http://www.zimbra.com/desktop
  • Adobe's Apollo will enable this
  • Apparently Firefox 3 "will allow sites to work offline by accessing local datastores", although I'm not sure how different this will be to the usual caching and "work offline" mode

No comments: